Fr. Bob's Profile - Founder's Timeline

1907:

Born February 4th in Emporia, Kansas to the Rev. Robert Herbert Mize, Sr., and wife, Margaret Talman Moore Mize. (Fr. Bob’s mother was from New York City and her father was rector at Christ Church, Red Hook, New York. Fr. Bob’s father was born in Chicago and was consecrated the third Bishop of Salina, serving as Bishop from 1921 – 1938.)

The Mize family lived in Emporia from 1906 – 1912.


1921:

Fr. Bob attended St. John’s Military School, Salina, Kansas for five months.


1928:

Fr. Bob graduated from the University of Kansas with a Bachelor of Arts degree. (He earned Phi Beta Kappa honors, honorary scholastic fraternity; Sachem honors, honorary leadership fraternity; Sigma Delta Chi, fraternity in journalism; edited the University Daily Kansan in his senior year, and was a member of Phi Delta Theta, social fraternity. It is also noted that Fr. Bob was selected as an alternate Rhodes Scholar.)

After graduation from KU, Fr. Bob worked as a journalist for United Press in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Kansas City.


1932:

Fr. Bob Prior to Founding St. Francis

Fr. Bob graduated from General Theological Seminary in New York City with a M.Div. degree. (While attending seminary, instead of doing intern work at churches, Fr. Bob served St. John’s Military School in Salina as its representative “on the road”, substituting for other individuals. There was no salary and Fr. Bob had the Colorado territory.)

Fr. Bob was ordained to the Priesthood by his father, Bishop Mize, on November 30, 1932 in Hays, Kansas.

The Associate Mission was formed in 1932 and four priests from the New York Seminary lived in Hays and were assigned to serve Episcopal Churches and missions in the area. Fr. Bob served as a circuit-riding priest in Western Kansas. He was vicar of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, Hays, Kansas from 1932 – 1941, where he was director of an associate mission. He was also assigned to serve St. Andrew’s, rural Silverdale and Logan churches in Kansas.


1933 - 1934:

Fr. Bob and members of the congregation built St. Andrew’s Church from native Kansas stone. (Previously, from 1909 until 1932, Sunday services at St. Andrew’s were held in the one room school house at Silverdale). Fr. Bob served there as a priest from 1932 – 1945.


1941:

Fr. Bob served as vicar at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church at Wakeeney, Kansas from 1941 – 1945.