Saint Francis Community Services began as the vision of The Rev. Robert Mize Jr., an Episcopal priest
serving several small churches in western Kansas during the 1940s. Early in his ministry, Fr. Bob
noticed that many boys labeled “juvenile delinquents” were becoming lost within a system of
institutions, reformatories, and jails. This troubled him deeply, and he grew determined to create an
alternative – one that offered hope and the opportunity for troubled young men to reclaim their potential.
Through Fr. Bob’s tireless efforts, Saint Francis Boys’ Home opened its doors in Ellsworth, Kansas, in
1945. A staff of four supervised and served its first residents, a dozen unruly young men. Three years
later, Fr. Bob opened a second Boys’ Home just west of Salina, Kansas, near Bavaria.
Today, Saint Francis serves more than 9,000 children and families, and employs about 1,000 people
in four states.
Firmly entrenched within the Episcopal tradition and dedicated to service, our mission has remained
unchanged since 1945 – to serve children and families as an instrument of hope and of healing in body,
mind, and spirit.